Buzzrack E-Hornet 3 Platform E-Bike Carrier
HORNET series offer convenient mounting, user-friendly functions, heavy duty construction for carrying e-bikes. The large wheel support allow stable mounting of tires up to 4‚Äö√Ñ‚â• size. The locking clamp is the perfect solution to attach the bike frame. Simple design, strong and durable.
The HORNET 3 is an hybrid solution that can fit regular bikes or e-bikes; you can fit 2 e-bikes with a large space in between or 1 e-bike and 2 regular bikes or 3 regular bikes.
The HORNET 3 is very strong, stable and easy to use rack to transport the heaviest e-bikes.
The wide wheel supports allow to mount most regular bike sizes and tire sizes.
Key features of the HORNET 3
Assembly: Even though it is not assembled, HORNET 3 is very easy to put together: assemble the wheel support frame to the base using 6 screws, assemble the light support with 2 more screws, install the license plate, fit the rack to the tow ball with no tools needed and you are ready to go!
Fitting to the car: When you first place the HORNET 3 on the tow ball it supports itself - you can let go of it and it won't fall to the ground. You'll then take the weight again, spin the tightening knob until it's tight, and lock it. BUZZRACK‚Äö√Ñ√≤s carriers comply with the very exacting standard XPR-18-904-4 and therefore include an anti-sway tensioner; this has an integrated handle and 2 or 3 turns are usually sufficient. The video below shows the fitting to the car and the installation of bikes.
Holding the bike: Simply position the bike on the wheel support. Adjust the clamp position by sliding it around the vertical tubular frame to find the perfect fit with the bike frame. Clamp the frame, attach the wheels using the ratchet straps, lock the clamps.
Lighting system: The HORNET 3 comes with a 7 pin lighting system. 7 pin to 13 pin adapter is not included but can be purchased as an option.
Tilting: Tilting is easy, and is very well balanced even with a full load. The HORNET 3 sits quite high on the tow ball, and the tilt function is optimised to prevent the lights from hitting the road surface, while still using the weight of the bikes to help bring the bike platform back to the level again in a controlled way. But this geometry doesn't allow for tall vertical tailgates to be opened - e.g. VW Transporter T5 and T6.
Carrying bikes and e-bikes
- The wheel holders will accommodate all wheelbases (not tandem!), even small children's bikes.
- The long rubber-padded wheel straps hold tyres up to 4‚Äö√Ñ√π wide; pull on them to tighten, and use the quick release to loosen
- The lockable frame arms hold your bikes securely and can be attached to any part of the frame, or the seat post. They can be locked using the same key as the tow ball attachment system.
- The maximum permitted load is 60kg, with no bike weighing more than 30kg
Other features and basic specifications
- The patented conical fitting fits to all tow balls, even to the bolt-on tow balls we see occasionally that do not meet standards for neck length or ball diameter.
- A reminder that it locks to the tow ball.
- The HORNET 3 sits high on the tow ball, well clear of speed bumps and other hazards such as steep ferry ramps.
- Dimensions: 127cm wide x 77cm deep (measured from the centre of the tow ball to the outside edge of the number plate holder).
- Weight: 18.8kg
- The build quality - tube bending, welding, rust proofing, painting, component quality, is exemplary. The whole carrier looks and feels like the class act it is. All tools you might need are provided.
- All parts are replaceable if e.g. someone forgets that a tow bar carrier is fitted and reverses into a wall - which happens!
- A loading ramp is available separately.
Max number of bikes: 2
Max weight per bike: 30kg
Max load capacity: 60kg
Max tire size: 4‚Äö√Ñ‚â•
Fits all ISO 50mm tow ball: yes
Dimensions (width x depth x height): 127cm x 82cm x 89cm (26cm folded)
Integrated lighting board: yes
Lighting board plug type: 7 pin
Bike carrier to tow ball lock: yes
Bike carrier to bike lock: yes
The maximum permitted load you can carry is also determined by the tow bar nose weight; you will need to check you don't exceed this before using any tow ball mounted bike carrier.
Requires 65mm clearance from center of tow ball to rear of vehicle.